1. Knowledge Management
Combined with partnership and networking, capacity development and advocacy, knowledge management can better facilitate engagement and collaboration that contribute to improved scaling up and out of successful agricultural practices, enhanced agricultural investment, and a higher level of trust among stakeholders.
Given its wide network and facilitative expertise, APAARI has strategically positioned itself to use knowledge management as an overarching programme to strengthen agri-food research and innovation systems.
Through collective actions, APAARI plays a critical role in informing its partners and other stakeholders about the strategic investments, policies and programmes that can develop the regional knowledge base as an essential foundation for sustainable transformation of agriculture and agri-food systems.
2. Partnership and Networking
APAARI strives to provide a platform for public, private and civil sectors to connect with national bodies, regional, sub-regional and global fora, to foster partnerships, facilitate networking through face-to-face and online interactions, and bring about large-scale change.
3. Capacity Development
APAARI aims at developing technical as well as functional capacities at individual, organizational and institutional levels, in tandem with key concepts and principles set out in the Common Framework on Capacity Development for Agricultural Innovation Systems (CDAIS) developed and endorsed by the partners of the Tropical Agriculture Platform (TAP). APAARI has the ability to create opportunities for its members, partners and other stakeholders by connecting organizations to each other through learning, to collectively overcome regional challenges.
- Strengthen institutional capacity for the development of agri-food research and innovation system
- Strengthen databases on human capacity to enhance sharing of talent and learning in the region
- Improve capacity of leaders and research managers in monitoring, evaluation and impact pathway analysis
- Develop and use improved skills and competency in managerial and organizational roles
- Develop basic skills and competency of researchers in small, island and mountainous countries, and new/emerging organizations
- Collectively identify and address organizational capacity development needs in knowledge management, partnership and networking, and advocacy
- Build capacity of researchers and policy makers in technical areas
- Improve collaboration in areas requiring regional cooperation
According to a World Bank report (2018) economic growth originating from agriculture has been shown to be 2-4 times more effective at reducing poverty than growth originating from other sectors. Despite this, in the regions where hunger and poverty are the most widespread today, there are declining or stagnant levels of investment in agriculture. FAO’s estimates from 2013 indicate that an additional investment of USD 83 billion annually will be required globally to close the gap between what low- and middle-income countries have invested each year over the last decade and what is needed by 2050.
APAARI plays a crucial role in advocating for investment in agri-food research and innovation. Advocacy as such, will require collective action at regional and national levels and APAARI is well positioned to lead this coordinated action.
- Increase political recognition of the role of agri-food research and innovation as a major driver of socioeconomic development
- Improve the voice and engagement of disadvantaged stakeholders involved in AFS
- Strengthen capacity for advocacy
- Engage social and broadcast media to strengthen advocacy efforts
- Enhance understanding of agri-food stakeholders and policy makers on the need, scope and return of improved investment
- Assess the status, trend and priority for investment, and use the data and information for policies and strategies to attract investment and improve decision making
- Develop advocacy tools and on-going dialogue on promoting investment
- Assess and develop skills and capacities for mobilizing investment
- Assess and adopt innovative funding and partnership mechanisms